Storing goods? These tips will help you properly prepare them.
Preparing Your Goods for Storage
Wade Odell Wade’s climate-controlled storage facility offers optimal protection for your belongings. These tips will help you ready your items for short- or long-term storage.
- Make sure all items for storage are clean and dry. Vacuum items such as furniture, rugs, and mattresses prior to storing them.
- Use packing aids such as packing paper and bubble wrap to secure items in their storage boxes.
- Items that are packed in boxes should be organized by category and clearly labeled for you can access them easily when needed.
- Protect your wood furniture by applying a furniture protection cream or spray prior to storage. (If unsure what to use, contact the furniture manufacturer for recommendations.) Avoid using plastic wrap on wooden or leather pieces as this traps heat and makes items more susceptible to mold or warping.
- If you’re storing appliances, clean them thoroughly and remove any odors by using baking soda or bleach and make sure there is no water in the appliance or any attached hoses or other parts.
- Wardrobe boxes that allow clothes to hang are recommended for storing clothing. This will result in less wrinkling than folding them and packing them in boxes.
- Books require special handling to keep them safe. Make sure they are dry before storing and put a paper liner between leather books. Books that have some mold should not be stored; if necessary, have them treated by a professional book restorer before storing. It’s best to pack books flat rather than upright.
Wade Odell Wade clients: You are invited to contact your Personal Coordinator
for personalized guidance on storing your items.